Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Excitement

So as you may know, or for those who are brand new to the Sound this summer. I have somewhat of a Cinderella story about how I ended up singing with the guys this summer. When I was 15, I saw Hyannis Sound for the first time. At that point I immediately knew that I wanted to do this "a cappella" thing. After that I coordinated 5 annual concerts at the Plymouth Schools in which the Hyannis Sound Headlined.

I also started an a cappella group with my buddies from high school called "The Guys". We were by no means as active as the Hyannis Sound...but for 3 summers we got together in our living rooms and practiced a few songs to sing on the Plymouth Waterfront. It was more fun than you could imagine. Every time we got together to noodle around on some tunes good times ensued.

In college, I joined Vocal Order, which is an all-male a cappella group. In the last 3 years we've done some amazing stuff...but that is where I really began to work hard and push myself to become the musician I am right now. I actually auditioned for Hyannis Sound 3 times. Each time I worked hard but it wasn't until this third go at it that I really had what I needed to take on what this group demands. In fact, receiving this wonderful opportunity to sing with Hyannis Sound this summer is so far one of my proudest accomplishments.

Going back to the whole beginning...I saw Hyannis Sound for the first time at MASC. MASC is the Massachusetts Association of Student Councils. Basically great kids from all over the state get together twice a year to learn about leadership, ideas for student council, and just have a blast. Way back in 1999, I saw Hyannis Sound for the first time at MASC. Tonight, I return to MASC, performing with the Hyannis Sound at the same event that got me fired up about all of this. I am so excited that I think the guys are getting sick of hearing it! (just kidding). I will definitely be blogging this experience as soon as it happens.

Before I can go to MASC tonight, I DO need to do laundry, so that I can look snazzy at all our shows this week!

7 Comments:

Blogger Meaghan said...

I too learned of Hyannis Sound through being on Student Council and being involved in MASC. Have fun tonight at MASC! The show last night was great, and I love that Paul sings "Carolina In My Mind".

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robbie-

You've totally earned your spot, and the group is lucky to have you bro.

Congrats, and enjoy MASC in all it's splendour tonight!

-Wrobz

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That same year, I was introduced to the Hyannis Sound at MASC :)

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey robbie

me and my family came to see the sound the other day in chatham. when you asked everyone what was different about you...i was the kid that said your glasses. you guys do a great job and we've been watching the sound since 2002. you all have amazing voices.

ps-my dad said the yankees are going to kick the red sox's butts this weekend.

zach

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rob
I love you Cinderella story. I promise I will come to a show this summer.

Leah

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww. yay for two awesome things being brought together. have a BLAST tonight, though it would be hard not to in SUCH a great atmosphere as MASC.

for the record, I too saw my first HS show at MASC back in... oh goodness i don't know- 01?

KL

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robbie -

Back in the lean days of the Hyannis Sound, I got a call from a woman wanting us to come out to Mass Maritime in Bourne on a Wednesday night to sing for a high school student counsel camp - The gig only paid a hundred or maybe two hundred bucks, but we needed the lettuce so we made the off-cape drive. At that point, we were doing mostly restaurant gigs where we were background music, so to walk out and have three hundred teenagers screaming at us was the "Beatle" moment of both of my summers. Who knew the Sound would be going back every year for the last 10 years. Congratulations, Robbie - Its stories like yours that make me so happy we keep this thing going.

Rob Stewart THS '94-'95

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home